Week One Vocabulary
August 31-September 4th
Your spelling and vocabulary test will be on Friday, September 4. You will be responsible for knowing how to spell each word correctly and the definition for each word.
• Thermometer – a tool used to measure the temperature of air and liquids
• Graduated Cylinder- a tool used to measure the amount of liquid accurately
• Hand Lens- A hand-held tool that is used to magnify objects
• Hypothesis- what you think the outcome of an experiment may be
• Variable- anything that can change in an experiment
• Control- to keep all the variables in an experiment the same except the one variable being tested
• Matter- the material or “stuff” that everything is made of
• Solid- a state of matter in which the substance has a definite shape and a definite volume
• Liquid- a state of matter in which the substance has a definite volume but takes the shape of its container
• Gas- a state of matter in which the substance takes both the shape and the volume of its container
Today we also got to practice using different science equipment! The students traveled around to different stations and explored! We measured, observed, classified, played with magnets, and looked through microscopes! My homeroom did not get to look in the microscopes, but I will have them set up tomorrow!
It was a wonderful day of science exploration!