Week Twelve Vocabulary
Novmeber 16 – November 20th
Your spelling and vocabulary test will be on Friday, November 20th . You will be responsible for knowing how to spell each word correctly and the definition for each word.
1. Carbon dioxide- a gas made of carbon and oxygen atoms that plants need for photsynthesis.
2. Dendrochronology- the study of trees that help find clues about the tree’s past.
3. Scar- dark spots in the tree’s rings that tell whether the tree has been damaged by fire of insects.
4. Tree rings- rings located in the center of a tree’s trunk. They tell the age and environmental conditions from present to past.
5. Environmental conditions- the kind of weather and surrounding in which trees have grown.
6. Igneous rock- rock formed from cooled magma or lava.
7. Sedimentary rock- rock that formed when sediments were pressed and cemented together.
8. Metamorphic rock- rock that formed when another kind of rock was squeezed and heated deep inside Earth’s crust.
9. Rock cycle- the process of rocks changing into other kinds of rock.
10. Fossils- the remains or traces of an organism that lived long ago.